Zucchini Boats with Shrimp Recipe
When you’re craving for an easy shrimp recipe, these zucchini boats with shrimp are a great option to serve! The delicious shrimp filling fills your soul with sweetness with a light touch of herbs and the creaminess of the cheese that melts in your mouth.
What is? (History/Background)
Zucchini is a versatile and delicious vegetable to have in the garden and in the kitchen. Because of its versatility, it can be air-fried as chips, an alternative to pasta (zoodles), fries, or even roasted boats. It has a wonderful flavor that blends well with seafood like shrimp and tomato-based sauce.
Tips and Procedure
- You can use the zucchini meat and seeds in other applications as an extender in patties, meatballs, and shanghai rolls. Just put them in the freezer bag and place them in the fridge for later use.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds from the zucchini. Do not slice or trim the ends of the zucchinis. This will hold the boat and ensuring it doesn’t go flat, which will hold its shape.
- Wiggly problem of the boats? No worries, just slice a thin portion at the bottom of the boat to make it flat so that it stays and doesn’t wiggle when you place the fillings.
- These zucchini boats with shrimp are a complete meal. You can get enough carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
• Save those shrimp heads for later use for stocks, broths, and even a deep flavoring for shrimp bisque. Place the shrimp heads in a freezer bag in the fridge for later use.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients beforehand:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- large zucchinis
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- minced red onion
- minced red bell pepper
- chopped shrimp
- finely diced carrots
- tomato sauce
- chopped shiitake mushroom, chopped
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- salt & ground black pepper
- grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Slice the zucchini lengthwise and slightly scoop out the meat, leaving a small portion.
In a mixing bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Divide and place the mixture into the zucchini halves.
Place the zucchini halves in a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- What does it taste like? For starters, the filling is like eating a sui Mai (Chinese steamed dumpling) without the wrapper since most ingredients are the same except for the herbs and tomato sauce.
- But when you bite It together with the roasted zucchini, it creates a balance that lingers in your mouth.
- What needs to expect? You may observe liquid leaking from the boats, which is normal as the liquid comes from the zucchini itself. But no worries, it doesn’t affect the flavor and taste profile of these zucchini boats with shrimp.
- Can I use any other type of cheese aside from cheddar? Yes, you may use different types of cheese. I recommend pepper jack cheese, mozzarella, Swiss, and Gruyere cheeses. They add flavor and texture to the zucchini boats.