Enjoy a weekday treat by creating this juicy and tasty teriyaki BBQ chicken in the comforts of your home. No need for an outdoor grill when you have your oven inside your kitchen to create this fantastic chicken recipe.
What is? (History/Background)
Chicken has always been a crowd’s favorite at parties or a simple gatherings. Nothing could go wrong when serving chicken bbq. According to history, BBQ dates back to the 50s’ when the Americans started to experiment and flourish. They started it with tough cuts of meat, then smoked for hours and served with variations of sauces from sweet up to spicy and tangy flavors. They believed that slow cooking of the meats infuses flavors and it tenderizes.
Nowadays, BBQ is not limited to smoking meats for a couple of hours. It’s now taking advantage of modern equipment such as an oven and infusing different kinds of herbs, spices, and condiments to bypass and create a delicious bbq recipe.
Tips and Procedure
- If you want the flavors to really go deep into the bones, you may slit one side of the drumsticks so that the sauce will be absorbed during the roasting process.
- If you use chicken breast, you may want to adjust the cooking time to 25 minutes to avoid a dry and overcooked breast.
- The sauce can be prepared ahead of time to develop a deepened flavor as time goes by. Just make sure to place it in the fridge for safekeeping.
- The teriyaki BBQ sauce can be used in pork, beef, and fish recipes. It is a versatile sauce you can serve depending on your choice of meat.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients before proceeding:
- salt & ground white pepper
- chopped spring onion
- chicken drumsticks
- vegetable oil
- minced red onions
- minced garlic
- ginger powder
- crushed pineapple with syrup
- brown sugar
- rice wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- sesame seeds
- lemon, juiced
- salt & ground white pepper
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and arrange them on a wire rack—Bake the chicken for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
While the chicken is in the oven, add vegetable oil, minced onions, garlic, and ginger powder to a saucepan. Saute for 2 minutes on medium-high heat.
Add crushed pineapple with syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, water, molasses, rice vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce it to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Place the mixture into a heatproof blender and blend until smooth. Set it aside.
Remove the chicken from the oven and brush it with the teriyaki BBQ sauce.
Place it back into the oven and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a serving bowl.
Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- What does it taste like? Spiced, smoky, and undeniably delicious chicken recipe. This has a perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors from sugar, pineapples, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce with a hint of nutty flavor from sesame seeds.
- What needs to expect? The teriyaki BBQ sauce will burn quickly if you force it with high heat, so simmer it on low to avoid the sugars from burning and giving a bitter taste.
- Can I use chicken wings for this recipe? Yes, you may! This is a perfect recipe for any part of the chicken, even roasting the whole chicken. You just have to remember the equation in roasting whole chicken — 1 kg of chicken is 1 hour of roasting time.