Cheese lover, eh? You must try this perfectly crispy salmon grilled cheese sandwich! It combines crunchy texture, oozing with creamy melted cheese, and a delicious smoked salmon deli — a treat for your palate. Delicious and easy, this grilled cheese sandwich is perfect for serving for breakfast, lunch, snack, or even dinner for the family.
The hype of grilled cheese has been crazy for years, and recipes have been out to the public to devour and try on what we can do with cheese aside from adding it to our favorite pasta recipe.
Crunchy texture, smoky flavor, and creamy like no other — no wonder why people love grilled cheese sandwiches.
I bet you will fall in love with these salmon grilled cheese with multiple layers of flavors.
All you need is 5 ingredients and a skillet.
Tips and Procedure
- The technique for this recipe is you go for low and slow. Low heat for like 10 minutes turning the sandwich halfway through. In this way, the butter will not be burned quickly to avoid burnt flavor and to have the cheese melted thoroughly.
- Do not use smoked salmon that was dredged in any type of oil. Always use the deli type of smoked salmon.
- Cheese and the smoked salmon should be at room temperature before you put them in the pan. This will ensure that the cheese will be cooked and melted evenly.
How To Make
Prepare the five (5) ingredients beforehand:
- softened unsalted butter
- sourdough bread slices
- finely diced brie cheese
- grated marbled jack cheese
- smoked salmon slices
Mix the two kinds of cheese into a small bowl.
Spread the softened butter into one side of the sourdough bread slices.
Place half of the cheese mixture into one sourdough bread slice, the side without the butter.
Add in the smoked salmon slices and the remaining cheese mixture.
Place the remaining bread slice on top.
Cook the salmon-cheese sandwich for 10 minutes on low heat in a heated skillet turning halfway through. Place a heavy metal cover to press down the cheese sandwich.
Once the cheeses are melted, remove and serve them immediately.
- What does it taste like? Creamy, slightly salty, and savory — A roller coaster ride of mouthfeel from the grilled cheese down to the smokiness of the salmon. The caramelization and the toasted sourdough's crunchy texture add a dimension you can't resist. This salmon grilled cheese is a must-try.
- What needs to expect? Well, first thing first. The brie cheese is soft, so expect that when you cut it into fine dice, it will stick to your knife. You can avoid sticking the cheese into your knife by soaking the blade in a mug of hot water. Do not worry this technique will not cause any harm to your precious knife.
In cutting the sourdough bread, you have to use a sharp bread knife to avoid damaging the bread's crusty form and soft interior.
- Can I use another type of bread aside from sourdough? Some bread works better than others, and some are not. Another consideration would be the flavor and the texture that will pair well with cheeses, condiments, and even the meat you add to.
Aside from sourdough bread slices, you may use brioche. This airy, buttery bread will make the grilled cheese sandwich even more decadent with a combination of the brie. Baguette is also an excellent substitute for sourdough. It makes a golden brown exterior because of the caramelization and the crispiness you can get. However, if you are wondering if Pullman loaf can be used in this recipe, it is a no considering it has a soft exterior and interior and can't hold too much weight of the cheeses.