This delicious pesto bruschetta chicken is a healthy alternative to the traditional bruschetta from Italy.
Likewise, this low-carb recipe is perfect for those looking to cut down on carbs.
Bruschetta is a traditional dish in Italy and serves as a tasty snack.
It usually comprises tomato toppings and a toasted baguette.
This light snack has captured the hearts of many.
It has become a world-renowned dish with many variations, including this healthier version.
This easy pesto bruschetta chicken is a perfect twist for the main entrée with your whole family.
This dish perfectly combines savory pesto, melted stringy cheese, and sweet and sour bruschetta toppings.
- 65 g basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 45 g grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 balsamic vinegar
- 2 (200g) butterflied chicken breast
- 200g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
How to Make Pesto Bruschetta Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Prepare an 8x5 casserole dish and grease it with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Combine basil leaves, sliced garlic cloves, 2/3 of balsamic vinegar, grated cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, a quarter teaspoon of salt, and walnuts in a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
3. Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grape tomatoes, and thinly sliced onions. Set aside.
4. Season the butterflied chicken with half a teaspoon of salt. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and rub it into the chicken breast. Spray a little bit with cooking spray.
5. Place the chicken into the prepared casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven and top it with the sliced mozzarella cheese.
7. Continue baking for another 5 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Remove from the oven and transfer to serving plates.
8. Place the pesto on top of the chicken, followed by the bruschetta toppings.
9. Garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.
- Place the chicken breast flat on the chopping board. Starting from the thicker side of the breast, slice one side. However, do not cut all the way through. Open the chicken sideways, resembling a butterfly.
- To quickly grate the jack cheese, place the cheese in the freezer for at least 30 minutes until it firms up. You can grate the cheese without worrying about its softness.
- You can prepare the tomato-onion salsa ahead for the flavors to blend in.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does it taste like? It features sharp herb tones balanced with milky melted cheese. This pesto bruschetta chicken combines these flavors in a dish that will leave you asking for more. The melted cheese compliments the slightly heated chicken breast well.
- What can you expect? Expect tons of juices to come out while you roast the chicken. Keep too much liquid from coming out by pat-drying the chicken using a paper towel. Then, place the chicken at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- Can you substitute mozzarella cheese? Yes, you may replace mozzarella with provolone cheese. It has the same flavor and a sweet and mild taste profile.