These delicious mini burritos are packed with sauteed spiced ground chicken, beans, aged cheese, and brown rice. A twist on a classic burrito that will indeed treat your tastebuds on your next meal. These mini burritos will fill your lunches and nights with a savory mouthfeel.
What is? (History/Background)
Who doesn't love burritos? A savory dish filled with meat, cooked rice, beans, and vegetables wrapped in a tortilla and baked to perfection. One of Mexican cuisine has to offer aside from their famous tacos. Burritos are the counterpart of tacos — in which a small-sized tortilla is folded and filled with different fillings.
Tips and Procedure
- You have to saute the ground chicken in high heat. This way, the ground chicken's moisture will evaporate immediately rather than boiling the chicken. You want the ground chicken to have a nice good sear and browning before adding the spices.
- Using day-old rice in this recipe is perfect, considering that it will be baked again in the oven, and the juices oozing out from the sauteed chicken will moisten the rice.
- You don't have to reheat the tortilla as it will be in the oven filled with the other ingredients.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients beforehand;
- olive oil
- ground chicken
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 12-inch flour tortillas
- cooked brown rice
- grated aged cheddar cheese
- canned black beans
- pico de Gallo
- thinly sliced green bell peppers
- Greek yogurt
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Add oil to a heated skillet over high heat and saute ground chicken for 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the following spices: chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well and cook for another 3 minutes.
Season with salt to taste and remove from the skillet.
To assemble, divide and fill the top of each tortilla with the cooked brown rice, cooked ground chicken, cheese, pico de gallo, black beans, sliced bell peppers, and Greek yogurt.
Fold the sides, tightly roll the burrito, and wrap it with aluminum foil. Place the burritos on a baking sheet or tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius. Serve immediately.
- What does it taste like? It perfectly balances the spiciness of the spices, pico de gallo, and the tanginess of the Greek yogurt. It also has a crunchy and refreshing flavor from the green bell pepper. These mini burritos are a bomb of flavors and textures.
- What needs to expect? You have to expect that the filling may seem too much for the tortilla, but it is not. This is why you must use a 10-12inches tortilla for this recipe to work.
- Can I use whole wheat or corn tortilla for this recipe? Yes, you may. A corn tortilla is the best substitute for gluten-free mini burritos if you have a gluten allergy. You may also use a whole wheat tortilla if you want to try something another texture in the tortilla itself, unlike the plain flour tortilla.