Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Everybody loves chocolate ice cream regardless of how intense the weather is in a particular area; creamy ice cream has a special bond to our hearts. But are you adventurous enough to try these Mexican hot chocolate ice cream?
What is? (History/Background)
This sounds crazy, right? But it doesn't have to be a piping hot ice cream. "hot " means a spicy one that cuts through the richness of the ice cream. This recipe is for people who are bold enough and up for the challenge to devour spicy ice cream.
There is a lot of spicy ice cream; however, only a few are mixing it with flavors such as chocolate since it can make or break the bitter taste and the spiciness of the cayenne pepper.
Tips and Procedure
- You can either use dutch-process cocoa or unsweetened chocolate instead of cocoa powder. This substitute is less bitter than cocoa powder.
- You may use a stand mixer instead of a handheld mixer; just use the wire whip to incorporate air into the ice cream mixture.
- Tempering is a process of combining two liquids with different temperatures. It must be slowly mixed so they both gradually rise to the same temperature. This recipe uses tempering in the beaten egg yolk to prevent the yolks from becoming scrambled, which will turn into solids, and you don't want that in the ice cream.
- For best result, you have to freeze the ice cream overnight until solid.
- You may also churn this into the ice cream machine for a better result.
How To Make
Prepare the following recipes in order to make this delicious Mexican hot chocolate ice cream:
- heavy whipping cream
- whole milk
- cocoa powder
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- granulated white sugar
- beaten egg yolks
- vanilla extract
- cayenne pepper
Place whole milk, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips in a saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until the chocolate chips have been thoroughly melted.
Temper and slowly add the hot chocolate mixture to the beaten eggs. Pour the remaining chocolate mixture into the tempered eggs.
Place the saucepan in an ice bath to cool down faster.
Once the chocolate-egg mixture has been cooled down, place it in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Blend well using an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
Transfer the mixture into a food-safe container and freeze overnight. Serve as a tasty cold treat!
- What does it taste like? It really tastes like your favorite chocolate ice cream; however, you will feel a spicy tingling sensation in your mouth once the ice cream has melted on your tongue. It creates a beautiful surprise that you won't expect. It has a creamy texture from the cream and milk and is stabilized with egg yolks.
- What needs to expect? You don't expect the heavy cream to become stiff like a meringue considering that you have added liquid with a different molecular structure than the heavy cream. However, it should be slightly thick compared to whole milk.
- You may be wondering what the role of salt in this recipe is. The salt balances everything else; it enhances the flavor of each ingredient. It is the same concept with all the baked products and pastries. Salt and chocolate are always a perfect combination.