Whether you want to impress your partner or the whole family with this easy chicken recipe, it will be a sure hit! This creamy herb chicken combines techniques to cook a simple chicken breast with spices and a classic French mother sauce.
What is? (History/Background)
Chicken breast is known for failing the dish, especially since it can be easily overcooked and dry. However, the technique depends on timing and how you season the chicken breast. In this recipe, you will be taught how to cook the chicken breast properly, creating a juicy and moist chicken to devour.
This creamy herb chicken recipe is a twist on the typical herb chicken that uses parsley as the herbaceous ingredient.
Tips and Procedure
- Make sure to cook the flour before adding the milk to create the roux; this will activate the flour's thickening power and reduce the flour's aftertaste.
- Do not wash the skillet you use to fry the chicken to create the sauce. The fond — the caramelized bits and pieces left at the bottom of the pan- develops additional umami to the sauce, deepening the flavor of this creamy herb chicken.
- Pat dried the chicken breast using a paper towel. This ensures that the oil won't splash on you once you fry the chicken.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients beforehand:
- 300g chicken breast
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- vegetable oil
- unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- finely diced carrots
- whole milk
- ground nutmeg
- sweet basil leaves
In a small bowl, combine salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, and garlic powder.
Sprinkle the spice mixture into the chicken breast and ensure that all sides are seasoned well.
Pour the vegetable oil into a heated skillet over medium heat.
Pan fry the chicken breast until cooked for about 7 minutes, turning halfway through.
Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside. In the same skillet, add the flour and butter; cook until for about 1 minute while stirring constantly.
Slowly add the milk and whisk until it slightly thickens.
Add ground nutmeg, carrots, and sweet basil; mix well—season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Add the pan fry chicken and simmer for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- What does it taste like? The creamy herb chicken is slightly spiced and blends well with the creamy herbaceous white sauce. The white sauce or the bechamel has a creamy and light texture that is not overpowering with the pan-fried chicken's spices, resulting in a balanced flavor once you dip the chicken into the sauce.
- What needs to expect? You may experience some curdling in the sides once you pour the milk into the roux. This is definitely normal; however, tone down the heat to a medium-low; you don't want the whole milk to boil as it will curdle and separate the milk solids.
- Any substitute with butter? Well, the rule of thumb when creating a roux is equal parts flour and fat. So yes, you can possibly substitute butter with any kind of fat as long as it has the same weight as flour. The fat can range from ghee down to simple olive oil.