Looking for a delicious taco recipe that is both cheap and easy to make? Look no further, as these chicken and shrimp tacos are the combinations you’ve been waiting for! A fusion of land and sea that meets in a crispy taco.
What is? (History/Background)
One of the best things that Mexican cuisine has offered the world is the ultimately and definitely delicious Tacos. But did you know that before it became the tacos that we know today, the original name of it was “taquito,” and the shocking revelation is that it is not a food at all? It was gunpowder that was wrapped in paper and inserted into some rocks before it will be detonated. This was during the 18th century, at the height of the war.
Regardless of the origins of the word tacos, these chicken and shrimp tacos are a crowd pleaser and can be served on any occasion you may like.
Tips and Procedure
- Some supermarkets sell boneless and skinless chicken breasts. But, if you can find one, you can remove the bones and skins in the chicken breast; just make sure to use a sharp knife in carving a chicken.
- Buy a pre-made taco seasoning, or you can make it yourself. Simply combine a tablespoon of chili powder, half a teaspoon of garlic powder, a quarter teaspoon of onion powder, half a teaspoon of dried oregano, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, a teaspoon of ground cumin, a teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of ground black pepper. Mix the spices and place them in an airtight container.
- If you are buying fresh whole shrimp, you may remove the head and use a pair of scissors to cut and peel the skin. Set the skin and the heads for later use, such as stocks and flavoring for other dishes. Always devein the large shrimp since it is the digestive tract and may taste bitter if not removed properly.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients beforehand:
- vegetable oil or any high-heat oil
- minced garlic
- diced boneless chicken breast
- sliced peeled shrimp
- oyster sauce
- cayenne pepper
- taco seasoning
- thinly sliced red onion
- shredded cabbage
- lime juice
- sliced bell pepper
- 4 flour tortillas
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Place the tortillas in an inverted muffin tin to shape the flour tortilla like a half moon.
Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Set aside. Then, add oil to a heated skillet over medium heat and saute minced garlic for 30 seconds.
Toss in the diced chicken and peeled shrimp; cook for another 4 minutes while stirring once in a while.
Drizzle with oyster sauce and sprinkle cayenne pepper and taco seasoning; mix well—season with salt to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Toss red onion slices, shredded cabbage, lime juice, and sliced bell pepper in a mixing bowl.
To assemble, divide and place the mixed vegetables into the crispy tortilla. Divide and place the sauteed chicken and shrimp. Serve and enjoy!
- What does it taste like? Juicy, tolerable spiciness, and the flavors of the well-loved taco. The tanginess of the quick veggie salad balances the flavor and brightens the tacos with its crunchy texture and freshness.
- What needs to expect? Chicken breast and shrimp can be easily overcooked. Be sure to follow the recommended number of minutes or the cooking time for a juicy and perfectly cooked taco filling.
- Can you recommend tortilla sizes to use in this recipe? You may use 6-8inch tortillas or the taco-size tortilla, and you may also use corn and whole wheat tortilla for a different tortilla texture for this chicken and shrimp tacos.
- Can I use lemon instead of lime? Yes, you may! Lemons are a perfect substitute for lime whenever the availability of it is an issue.