Flavorful buffalo chickpea wrap with delicious yogurt-cucumber sauce and crunchy vegetables — an all-in-one tasty snack for the whole family. You may serve this light salad wrap as a delicious appetizer for any occasion, such as birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries.
What is? (History/Background)
Who doesn’t love a food that is drizzled with a nice kickin’ hot sauce? It is always a game changer when you add hot sauce to any food you like, except for desserts. It gives a nice heat that creates a burning sensation and urges you to take another bite.
This tasty salad wrap contains plant-based protein chickpeas, hot sauce, yogurt, and vegetables is always a good idea, especially if you are looking for a western-inspired dish to prepare for your next meal. These chickpea wraps are packed with proteins and dietary fiber and contain tons of vitamins and minerals. It also has good bacteria from Greek yogurt that promotes good digestion.
Tips and Procedure
- This recipe uses 6-inch flour tortillas. However, you may use an 8-10 inch tortilla if you want. A larger tortilla will be able to wrap and tuck the ingredients thoroughly.
- There are three (3) ways how to reheat the flour tortillas. One method is using the microwave. Put the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a damp paper towel. Repeat the process to your desired number of tortillas. Set the microwave to 30 seconds up until 45 seconds, depending on how many tortillas you reheat. Note that this applies only to 6-8inch tortillas; larger ones can be reheated through other methods.
- Another reheating method is through the oven. Set your oven to 200 degrees Celsius, place the tortilla on a baking sheet, and cover with a damp paper towel—roast in the oven for 5 minutes only.
- You can also reheat the tortilla in an open flame on your stovetop. Just make sure to flip it every 15 seconds on each side.
- Canned chickpeas were used in this recipe since they would be easier to cook than dry ones that need more than a day of preparation. Improper preparation of dried chickpeas could result in stomaches and gas build-up. Chickpeas, legumes, and beans contain toxins called lectins — which can cause food poisoning if not adequately prepared.
How To Make
Prepare the following ingredients beforehand:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- canned chickpeas, drained
- garlic powder
- hot sauce
- smoked paprika
- thinly sliced red onion
- thinly sliced carrot
- romaine lettuce head, separate the leaves and discard the core
- flour tortillas
- Greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- diced cucumber
- minced garlic cloves
- ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Combine yogurt, lemon juice, diced cucumber, and minced garlic in a bowl—season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Place in the fridge and set aside. In an oven-safe skillet, combine olive oil, chickpeas, garlic powder, salt, hot sauce, and smoked paprika—roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
To assemble, divide and spread the yogurt sauce into one side of the tortillas.
Add 2-3 lettuce leaves to each tortilla and place them in the center.
Divide and arrange the sliced carrots and onions on the lettuce leaves.
Add in the roasted chickpeas. Tuck and fold in the tortilla to make a wrap. Serve immediately.
- What does it taste like? This buffalo chickpea wrap combines smokey and fiery roasted chickpeas and is balanced with light and a tangy yogurt-cucumber sauce. The crunchy texture of the onions, lettuce, and carrots adds a blending profile to the chickpea wrap – which makes the wrap a fun way to devour.
- I don’t have an oven-safe skillet. Can I use a baking tray instead? Yes, this is a perfect replacement for it; just make sure to place parchment paper into the baking tray for easy clean-up.
- Can I use healthy tortillas such as wheat tortillas? Yes, you may use other tortillas that you prefer.